Music Talk Board
Pedals!! - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Instrument Talk (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Guitar (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Pedals!! (/thread-270.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Pedals!! - WCPhils - 06-23-2013

Eh, I wasn't really sure where to put this so it can be moved or whatever

Anyway, anyone know any good pedals to get? I only use a crappy Zoom pedal that pretty much sounds horrible. I also had a Boss DS-1 at one point but it didn't really have a heavy enough sound for my liking.

I was thinking about getting a Boss MetalZone pedal but I'm not really sure if it will work with the stuff I play. Which is mostly metalcore/hardcore/metal with a few other things thrown in. BTBAM, Converge, Protest the Hero, Mastodon, Every Time I Die.....

Sooooo, do you think that would be a good pedal to get? Or do you have other suggestions? Because most of the reviews I read seemed to be by people who didn't know what they were talking about and only wanted it to play like Metallica. Thought you guys would be a bit more knowledgable :p

RE: Pedals!! - Mr Maps - 06-23-2013

Are you just looking for a distortion? Or something else?

What amp are you playing through? This is important.

Whatever you do, stay away from Boss. Their distortions suck, IMO. You can do much better.

RE: Pedals!! - WCPhils - 06-23-2013

A small Marshall amp. I'm actually not sure of the specific model because it's worn completely off the front.

What pedals would you suggest?

RE: Pedals!! - Grungie - 06-23-2013

(06-23-2013, 09:21 PM)Mr Maps Wrote: Whatever you do, stay away from Boss. Their distortions suck, IMO. You can do much better.

I disagree, the metalzone is just ass

Phils, what are you looking for, is your distortion not enough and looking for a boost, or what?

That would explain why so many of the reviews were using it for Metallica. Their tone is poop

Is it solid state or valve?

Well, Joyo and Mooer make cheap versions of popular pedals. Joyo's circuits are exact replicas of the originals, with cheaper parts. Mooer might be too, I'm not 100% sure. MXR also make decent pedals for fair prices. TC Electronic are highly rated too.

(06-23-2013, 09:25 PM)Grungie Wrote:
(06-23-2013, 09:21 PM)Mr Maps Wrote: Whatever you do, stay away from Boss. Their distortions suck, IMO. You can do much better.

I disagree, the metalzone is just ass

Phils, what are you looking for, is your distortion not enough and looking for a boost, or what?

Basically a boost

The distortion on the Zoom isn't actually bad. I mean, all the covers for the CATPM is with it. It just sounds weak... for lack of a better word. Nothing has any bite to it, and it makes playing heavy but fast stuff like BTBAM and Protest almost impossible.

I'm thinking I might just need a new amp though.....

Mine is pretty terrible

RE: Pedals!! - Grungie - 06-23-2013

Or he can check out the Proco Rat Distortion.

I would suggest a Big Muff, but I doubt that fits what he wants, unless he's game for the METAL MUFF

Nah, Muff's are no good. He wants something else, ifyacatchmadrift.

If you get an original Rat, go for it. But the newer ones are considered sub-par, and I've tried a Turbo and a You Dirty, and they weren't great, so I don't think it's just anti-modern bandwagoning.

If your amp is SS, boosting probably won't sound good. You can only really boost valve amps, because if you send a SS pre-amp into clipping, it'll sound like a hive of angry bees trying to sing opera. Same thing if you try to boost your Zoom. It sounds like you need a new amp Phils, unfortunately.

Yea, it's probably time. I got this one used for like $80 a few years ago. :haha:

guess I'll start saving Sad