Music Talk Board
What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? (/thread-401.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - Wahnsinn - 03-03-2014

I'm just asking out of curiosity. Don't give me those looks. lol

Basically, imagine you have this forum you always/sometimes visit (it's up to you if you want to think of MTB or not) and someone on that forum claims that they have killed someone and haven't been caught. They don't make it sound like it's just a joke and they seem to be very serious about it. They might even mention it more than once.
It's up to you if you want to imagine it as someone that killed out of self-defense or someone that seems like a psycho.

So my question now is: What would you do? Would you expect it to just be a bad joke or would you actually tell someone about it, e.g. police. And what if they're in a different country?

I'm interested to know what you'd think of a situation like that.

RE: What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - Grungie - 03-03-2014

This reminds me of Metabollic Maggot on UG:

Quote:Sometime around last thursday, user metabolicmaggot was sent to Diamond Ranch Academy (DRA) for 10 months where buttsecks, rape, beatings, and serious business occurred. He claims that he was sent for no reason whatsoever and that his parents were very strict with him. After graduating DRA, metabolicmaggot (moar like metabolicfaggot amirite?) said that he forgave his parents for sending him to such a horrible place and that he had learned discipline and self respect there. At first, pit users thought he was trolling until metabolicfaggot posted a picture of his diploma of him successfully graduating. This left over 9000 pit monkeys enraged at how places such as DRA could get away with taking kids and beating them. But then as if that wasn't enough, at least 100 days later metabolicfaggot created a new thread saying that he might be getting sent back for another 2 months. A shit storm instantly occurred with users telling him to book it and go to another city or country instead of going back to that hell hole DRA. Users had set up groups to raise awareness of the evil DRA, offered donations, and even wrote songs for the kid. He would post every one or two days telling users about how his life on the lamb was going and how he didn't have much money and that he was starting to eat out of dumpsters. He had finally set up a mailing address after receiving enough support and was asking for at least 5 dollars in donations. Thats when the troll was detected. Carmel had closed the thread with this last note attached to it: "Do NOT send money to people you "know" off the internet. Oh and just in case anyone was wondering, he's been posting from the same location throughout this thread." Yep, turns out he was in the same place the entire time.

RE: What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - Wahnsinn - 03-03-2014

Quote:moar like metabolicfaggot amirite?
Made me laugh.

Who wrote that? A random member from UG?

And ooh, I remember you telling me about Carmel.

Yeah, it's similar to my question, but still quite different since he was the innocent one while I'm asking for the member being the guilty one.

But thanks for sharing that. lol
Why didn't Carmel close it earlier instead of having everyone believe it and stuff?

RE: What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - Grungie - 03-03-2014

They probably didn't suspect anything until they saw people try to send him money. Another user named Grundy was posing as an old man who just discovered he had cancer and had a good chance he might not make it. For awhile a ton of people were using his avatar as a way to spread the word, or to just show their support. Then they were trying to raise money to help pay for his surgery, and then they looked into him and found out that he too was a fraud.

RE: What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - Wahnsinn - 03-03-2014

They seem to be very gullible over there...

And what's with everyone wanting to raise money. Don't they want any sort of evidence before doing that? lol

RE: What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - fantanoice - 03-03-2014

I'd probably assume it be a bad joke, but even if they are serious, how do you report something like that?

RE: What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - Crashbreaka - 03-03-2014

Yeah I'd probably just assume it was the internet being the internet. But even if they were serious, there's not much I can do about it. I don't think notifying their police would work if you lived in a different country, and that's if you even knew where they lived to begin with.

RE: What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - fantanoice - 03-03-2014

(03-03-2014, 08:42 AM)Crashbreaka Wrote: Yeah I'd probably just assume it was the internet being the internet. But even if they were serious, there's not much I can do about it. I don't think notifying their police would work if you lived in a different country, and that's if you even knew where they lived to begin with.
IP address would give it away (or at least narrow it down and probably give away the ISP who can inform police), though that can be spoofed with proxies.

RE: What would you do if someone on a forum you visit claims to have killed somebody? - Crashbreaka - 03-03-2014

IP's are generally hidden though. I'd need to be a site administrator or something to be able to access them.

I interpreted this thread as if I ran the site, not visited, mahbad.