Music Talk Board
Music theory assistance - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Instrument Talk (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Other (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Music theory assistance (/thread-197.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Music theory assistance - Adam - 04-10-2013

yeah, simple stuff can usually work with scales and such, but it gets boring fast if you wanna go deeper with it

The only 2 things that drives me mad about guitarists though, is that they either don't know any theory and think theory destroys creativity (i've actually met people who believe this nonsense), and that they don't use vibrato

Practice your vibrato, people!

RE: Music theory assistance - crazysam23 - 04-10-2013

(04-10-2013, 05:56 PM)Adam Wrote: yeah, simple stuff can usually work with scales and such, but it gets boring fast if you wanna go deeper with it

The only 2 things that drives me mad about guitarists though, is that they either don't know any theory and think theory destroys creativity (i've actually met people who believe this nonsense)
I have too, and it makes no sense. How does increasing your musical knowledge (thereby giving you access to more "musical tools") ruin creativity? :|

For instance, I use my knowledge of chord construction quite extensively, because (for my compositions) I often consider how something sounds as a whole. Or cadences. The guy who came up with the idea of cadences is a genius.

RE: Music theory assistance - JCizzle - 04-11-2013

Well, one could argue that a child slamming a toy keyboard is being more original and less "shackled" to musical conventions due to lack of musical experience and talent.

But as we all know, these types people write "contemporary" music Tongue

RE: Music theory assistance - crazysam23 - 04-11-2013

(04-11-2013, 01:54 AM)JoelCarli Wrote: Well, one could argue that a child slamming a toy keyboard is being more original and less "shackled" to musical conventions due to lack of musical experience and talent.

But as we all know, these types people write "contemporary" music Tongue
But more original doesn't necessarily mean "more creative". It can, but I don't think it does in "contemporary" music. Tongue

RE: Music theory assistance - Adam - 04-11-2013

I think what Wolfy is trying to say, it's like when you were a kid and you didn't know how stuff works, everything was amazing and magical, when you got older that 'magic' was gone because you knew how stuff works

If someone will try to argue against learning theory i think that's the best argument you can come up with. But it's still wrong.

If theory limits your creativity then you're doing it wrong.

RE: Music theory assistance - crazysam23 - 04-11-2013

(04-11-2013, 02:46 AM)Adam Wrote: I think what Wolfy is trying to say, it's like when you were a kid and you didn't know how stuff works, everything was amazing and magical, when you got older that 'magic' was gone because you knew how stuff works

If someone will try to argue against learning theory i think that's the best argument you can come up with. But it's still wrong.

If theory limits your creativity then you're doing it wrong.
Well...damn, why didn't he come out and say that? Haha.

I'm tired as shit. Plus, I've been doing a C++ programming assignment for the last hour. After that, your brain tends to turn to mush, lol.

But yeah, I agree.

RE: Music theory assistance - JCizzle - 04-11-2013

That's not what I meant but it's also a valid point.

I can never truly know what you mean anymore, so i guess

RE: Music theory assistance - Mr Maps - 04-11-2013

(04-10-2013, 06:45 PM)crazysam23 Wrote: Or cadences. The guy who came up with the idea of cadences is a genius.

Oh God this. Cadences are like my favourite part of music. How phrases end and transition into the next is really important to me. Gotta be just right.

That's because you're a quality guy, people who don't pay attention to that are missing out.