Music Talk Board
Music theory assistance - Printable Version

+- Music Talk Board (https://www.musictalkboard.com)
+-- Forum: Instrument Talk (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Other (https://www.musictalkboard.com/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Music theory assistance (/thread-197.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Music theory assistance - Adam - 04-10-2013

yes...?

That's a bit vague, mate

RE: Music theory assistance - crazysam23 - 04-10-2013

(04-10-2013, 02:14 AM)Adam Wrote: yes...?

That's a bit vague, mate
Anything about them. I'm just trying to facilitate discussion here. I guess I'll ask something (even though I think I know the answer)...how do they work?

RE: Music theory assistance - JCizzle - 04-10-2013

A major's relative minor is its sixth. A minor's relative major is its second.

In other words, E's relative is C#m. Am's relative is F#.

(04-10-2013, 02:38 AM)JoelCarli Wrote: A major's relative minor is its sixth. A minor's relative major is its second.

A minor's relative major is its *third

Am's relative is *C Major

Tongue

RE: Music theory assistance - Danjo - 04-10-2013

I was gonna say, 2nd definitely doesn't sound right, haha. You forgot to music math Joel. 6,7,8 is 3 notes, not 2.

I guess I just have a really unconventional approach to music, because I know a decent amount of theory from choir and band, but I never really think about it unless I have to. I mostly just go off of shapes and whatever sounds good. Pretty much the only time I use my theory knowledge is when I'm telling someone else what I'm playing.

This is my general approach

I don't ever think in a 'scale', i think in a key. That way i get to use all 12 notes with 11 notes basically circling around the root, instead of only 7 notes (if you're thinking diatonic). I usually try to do stuff that don't come naturally to my fingers or my picking hand, keeps it a bit more interesting.
And I only really think theory when compossing and trying to figure out what's going on so i could copy it/progress it/ etc, or when trying to sorta 'analyse' a song because i like something about it that i wanna use.

And of course use my ears and what sounds good, the hardest part usually is managing to play what i hear in my head.

RE: Music theory assistance - JCizzle - 04-10-2013

(04-10-2013, 02:47 AM)Adam Wrote:
(04-10-2013, 02:38 AM)JoelCarli Wrote: A major's relative minor is its sixth. A minor's relative major is its second.

A minor's relative major is its *third

Am's relative is *C Major

Tongue
Oh wow I'm terribly stupid. Thanks for that. I meant to say A MAJOR's relative is F# MINOR.

Amaj -> F#min
Emaj -> C#min
Amin -> Cmaj
etc.

I was thinking "A major is x-0-2-2-2-x, and F# minor is 2-4-4-2-2-2, which is two frets away. OKAY, SECOND IT IS, DERP!"

I too think in key rather than in degrees. The latter is just more general and can be applied to any 7-tone scale.

(04-10-2013, 05:39 AM)Adam Wrote: This is my general approach

I don't ever think in a 'scale', i think in a key. That way i get to use all 12 notes with 11 notes basically circling around the root, instead of only 7 notes (if you're thinking diatonic). I usually try to do stuff that don't come naturally to my fingers or my picking hand, keeps it a bit more interesting.
And I only really think theory when compossing and trying to figure out what's going on so i could copy it/progress it/ etc, or when trying to sorta 'analyse' a song because i like something about it that i wanna use.

And of course use my ears and what sounds good, the hardest part usually is managing to play what i hear in my head.
This post makes me really happy! Big Grin

yes yes, i know how much you dislike when people praise scales and modes Tongue

(04-10-2013, 05:44 PM)Adam Wrote: yes yes, i know how much you dislike when people praise scales and modes Tongue
:haha: Yeah. More so modes than scales, but yeah.

I guess it doesn't surprise me though, since you're a big Prog/Avant-Garde guy that you would think in terms of keys. It seems a lot of blues-influenced rock/hard rock or Punk-based rock (so, basically, any rock that isn't Prog) guys think a lot of terms of scales. I guess that works for them, but it's too inelegant for me.